This Advanced level kit for teaching dance composition and choreography contains 210 resources designed to instruct intermediate-advanced learners in middle school, high school, colleges, and teacher workshops. It serves learners as they move through the spectrum of learning: from beginner, to intermediate, to advanced levels.
The Instructional Charts and Posters in Creating Dance–Processes for Choreographing (Advanced Level) instill the key concepts and skills required to compose dances. They graphically instruct about the art and craft of choreography–including the choreographic process and how its specifics relate to originating, organizing, and refining compositions. Easy-to-use charts explain details of the choreographic processes, devices, and basic structures in a way that increases literacy along with skills.
The “Creative Catalysts” in the kit activate the key concepts to instill them by meaningful creative tasks in composition. For example, all 127 poetic stanzas (each on an inventive topic) are designed to inspire as well as inform about choreography. The 2-sided deck of 52 contrast cards list opposites on each side to spark ideas to demonstrate the design principle contrast and various processes, devices, and structures in the kit. The teacher’s Ideabook instructs teachers on how to integrate the materials within the kit to maximize learning.
MS. HS. From beginner to advanced levels. 210 individual items in this kit. ISBN-978-0-9799419-1-7
For more information on Toolkit 2 see our video titled: “Unpacking the Pink Kit“
CONTENTS OF THE KIT:
1. McCutchen’s book, Creating Dance–Processes for Choreographing (2011) in this toolkit explains the key content and instructional strategies required for teaching dance composition and choreography, all of which is made explicit in this resource packet of materials. The Ideabook also explains the resources and how to use them individually and together to maximize learning.
2. The Choreographic Process and Its Processes — 1 overview poster explains the 3-step choreographic process. 8 focus charts guides the details of each of the 8 choreographic processes that make up the 3-step process
3. Choreographic Devices — 1 overview poster and 12 individual teaching charts instructs on one dozen compositional “devices” to use when composing to manipulate movement
4. Dance Diamantes book (Set 1) — 63 freshly created stanzas to prompt original dance choreography
5. Dance Diamantes (Set 2) –66 additional stanzas of advanced concepts to translate into choreography and improvisation.*
6. Cool Contrasts cards (Set 1) — 52 two-sided cards give 104 dance making ideas that emphasize the design principle contrast. Each card generates contrast dances. Use for exploration, experimentation, and improvisation as part of dance making. Pair with the foundation structure teaching chart in this kit–“Two-Part AB Form.” as a catalyst to introduce dance-making
7. Foundation Structures — 6 focus charts that instruct on the basics of choreographic structure
*Additions to the basic level kit (in pink type)