A blind review by the National Dance Education Organization returned these comments about this Dragonfly Diamantes book:
- Clearly connects NDEO’s mission with the intent and substance of the Standards.
- Uses abstract thinking, imagery and metaphor to promote creative problem solving.
- This dynamic spring-board connects diverse areas of the curriculum through expressive movement and poetry.
- Motivates students to create from deep abstraction and from feeling for the metaphors and images.
- Motivates learners from the 7th grade through higher education.
Author: Brenda Pugh McCutchen, M.F.A. Dance
Book specs: 8.5″ x 11″, softcover, spiral-bound; 94 pages, 89 stanzas. Printed in black and white with 4 color pages. Published by Dance Curriculum Designs, Columbia, SC (2011).
Age level recommended: middle school, high school, college, adult
Layout: Stanzas appear one per page for viewing while moving in a studio to explore, improvise, and create.
Content: Original stanzas to stimulate dance choreography, creative dramatics, creative writing, music compositions, and other creative works. Stanzas of five lines each encapsulate an idea as a stimulus to further creative work.